This oven roasted whole chicken is incredibly juicy, has abundant delicious flavors, and the ever so magical perfectly crispy skin!
- 5–6lb whole chicken – neck and giblets removed
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, quartered
- 1 med carrot cut into sticks
- 2 celery stalks halved
- 1 head garlic peeled
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 bunch fresh sage
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp or 1/4 stick unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 425
- Remove giblets and neck from chicken
- Rinse the inside and outside of whole chicken.
- Remove any excess fat and pat dry.
- Liberally salt and pepper inside of the chicken.
- Stuff the chicken cavity with onion, carrots, garlic, celery, thyme, sage, and rosemary.
- Brush the outside of the chicken with the melted butter.
- Sprinkle outside of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken on roasting pan, or baking sheet with rack placed inside of sheet.
- Roast chicken in oven for 1 1/2 hours. Or, until juices run clear and chicken reaches internal temperature of 165.
- Remove chicken from oven and cover with foil.
- Allow whole chicken to rest for 20 minutes.
This oven roasted whole chicken is a meal prep powerhouse! Shred your chicken meat and use it in salads, soups, and even tacos for the entire week.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 1/2 hours
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking/Roasting
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 580
- Fat: 15g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 47g
Keywords: oven roasted whole chicken, oven roasted chicken, how to bake a whole chicken, how to roast a whole chicken